New and Renewal Patients
Registering for your DC medical marijuana card is a relatively straight-forward process. You will need:
- A current, government issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license or passport);
NOTE: A driver’s license issued from another state is acceptable. However, if you have a DC driver’s license the address on your license must match the address on your application–if it does not, you will need to use an alternative photo ID (such as your passport).
- Two forms of proof of DC residency. Acceptable documentation includes:
- Copy of current DC driver’s license or DC government issued ID;
- Voter’s registration card;
- Full copy of lease;
- Deed to property;
- Utility bill (Pepco or Washington Gas); and
- Copy of recent paystub showing DC withholding tax.
NOTE: The addresses on your residency documentation must match the address on your application.
- A physician recommendation. Start with your own physician. If your physician is unable to provide a recommendation, you have several options.
- Schedule an appointment with a local practitioner:
- Stop by the dispensary to get information on alternative practitioners.
NOTE: Patients that qualify for compassionate needs assistance should stop by the dispensary for alternative practitioner options.
- Two passport sized photos or a “selfie.” Photos must cover vertically from the base of your neck to over the top of your head and horizontally from ear to ear.
- A completed application form; and
- A money order for the registration fee.
Applications may be submitted electronically, mailed, or hand-delivered to the Department of Health. Some forms are available in English and Spanish. Links to the forms are provided below:
- Adult Application, English
- Adult Electronic Application, English
- Adult Application, Spanish
- Minor Application, English
- Caregiver Application, English
NOTE: We recommend that you drop your application and documentation off at the dispensary and allow us to submit the documentation and fees to the Department of Health.
Transferring dispensaries is simply a matter of completing a form and paying a fee. The link to the transfer application and instructions is below:
NOTE: The fastest turn-around time is received by patients who have hand-delivered their transfer application to the Department of Health. If that is not possible, than please drop the form off at the dispensary.
Payment of Fees
For a limited period of time, patients who choose Herbal Alternatives have two options for payment of the Department of Health registration fee:
- You pay the registration/transfer fee and you will receive a credit in the amount of the application/transfer fee plus $25; or
- Herbal Alternative’s pays your registration/transfer fee.